I am a philosopher of art and artist, and a Lecturer (assistant professor) in Philosophy at Cardiff University.
Before Cardiff, I was a post-doctoral Research Fellow in Philosophy & Art at Peterhouse, University of Cambridge from 2018-2022. I was awarded my PhD in Philosophy by Cambridge in 2019. Before that, I received a Distinction for the MPhil in Philosophy at Cambridge, and a First Class BA (joint honours) in Fine Art & Philosophy at the University of Reading.
In my philosophical work, I explore how visual art is a kind of communication, or speech, and the nature of aesthetic injustice. I also have an art practice in painting and sonic installation.
1. ‘Artistic (Counter) Speech’ (2022, *prize-winning paper) Journal ofAesthetics and Art Criticism 4, 409-419.
2. ‘Lies in Art’ (2022) Australasian Journal of Philosophy 100, 25-39.
3. ‘Novel Assertions: A Reply to Mahon’ (2022) British Journal of Aesthetics 62, 115-124.
4. 'The Artistic Metaphor’ (2021) Philosophy 96, 1-25.
5. 'Honouring and Admiring the Immoral: an ethical guide. Drawing the Line: What to Do with the Work of Immoral Artists from Museums to the Movies' (2023) Philosophical Quarterly 73, 831-837.
6. 'Whole Picture: The colonial story of the art in our museums & why we need to talk about it' (2021) British Journal of Aesthetics 61, 395-399.
'Depravity: the story of dangerous art' (book under contract with Faber & Faber)
‘Should we censor art?: a philosophical guide on how to manage dangerous art’ (2021) Aeon https://bit.ly/3wg4hUO
‘Conflicted art: how to approach works by morally bad artists' (2019) Art Aesthetics Magazine https://bit.ly/3BEbEXa
"What is aesthetic injustice?" (UCL, 'The Ethics of Arts Funding' workshop - 30th Oct 2023)
"On immoral artists" (Royal Institute of Philosophy, Oxford Brookes - 27th Nov 2023)
"Lying as Telling" (University of Valencia, 'Lying & Deception' workshop - 23-24th Nov 2023)
TBC (University of Reading Research Colloquium - 25th Jan 2024)
"The Aesthetic Slur" (University of Barcelona LOGOS Colloquium - 3rd April 2024)
TBC (University of Birmingham Philosophy Society - 22nd May 2024)